יום רביעי, דצמבר 28, 2005

Khanukah in Khanchanaburi

As I was hiking through the bamboo forests of Sai Yok I thought about last year. And so, now that I'm back at my guesthouse on the banks of the River Kwai, I posting a few thoughts.

When I think back to last year Chanukah and where I was, I'm quite a ways from there. Do you ever do that with yearly events? "Where was I last...?" I do. Had you told me last year that Chanukah 2005 I'd be in Thailand lighting a menorah with a shamash hold made from a pineapple top... Yeah, a ways a way.

Over Shabbos in Bangkok I met three Israeli guys who have been traveling around for a while and are continuing on to a few more countries. What I found extraordinary is that all three are deaf (and mostly mute)! None of them can even write English! The only language they know is Hebrew and even that is only in sign language or in writing. Mucho impressio.

The mosquitoes here are ravenous and I am as well. That means I'm going to sign off, shower, and cook dinner.

Please share your thoughts on this. I'd love to hear other people and how the year turns past them.