יום רביעי, נובמבר 02, 2005

Where to spend Shabbat?

With a month of 4 day weeks and every day is a "Friday" or a "Sunday" it's been a challenge for me to find places for Shabbat and Chagim each time. A definite lesson to be learnt upon returning home - invite people and do not assume that they will feel comfortable inviting themselves. To the credit of the Sydney Jewish community, at no point did I not have a place (or two) for shabbat. School work also got shoved aside a tad. Lucky for me Tues and Weds are the two days I didn't have any of my "important" classes.

As an aside...
Sitting around with a few friends talking junk before dinner. Food here is good. People here are talkative with a side of bullshit.

Back to my recent life rundown.
The Shabbat in middle of Succot was unusual. I was invited to Friday night dinner in the succah of the fellow who runs dorms. He invited a random sampling of other students as well. Succot is probably one of the more international holidays that we have, evidenced by the sacrifices brought for each of the world nations. That was the thought running though my head as I sat around a table with a Sikh, two Aboriginal girls, a Conservative Rabbi from Columbia (the country), a few other Jewish students in the college, and a Chinese girl. Intriguing discussions, excellent food.

It also meant I got to sleep in my own bed for the first Friday night since arriving in this country. That was a nice treat. Not having to pack up and travel. Oh well. It's now Weds. morning - where am I this Shabbat?