יום חמישי, ספטמבר 22, 2005

Out and About

Just walked back in my door, it's around 1am. After too many nights sitting around in the University I spent two evenings out and around. Remains to be seen how Thursday evening gets spent.

Tuesday night I saw an ad for a Jazz show only a bus ride away and with only an $8 cover charge. Great! Tuesday nights are slow around here.

I got there about 9:10. A half-hour late. There was a 3 man band on stage tapping away. Tapping. I couldn't pick out a melody line because there were almost no notes, just tapping. An upright base, a massive xylophone, and drums. Just tapping, rhythmic, building up in tempo after the first half hour. After maybe 40 mins they start to toss in a few notes. 45 mins, they sped up a little. And then stopped. We stood there scratching our heads, hoping that they were just the openers.

I was thinking - "Wow, good thing that girl couldn't come tonight, I would have had to look like I was into this jazz crap." Because if that was jazz, then I'm quite the uncultured buffoon. Luck for all of us, they were just the openers. Luck for myself and John, we missed most of the torture.

4 guys got on and introduced themselves as "Mark Four". None of them were named Mark. Shame. They were much better. You could have been there and I would have been genuinely enthused about the music. I'd go hear these guys again. The bassist was having more fun than should be allowed in public, the drummer looked like he was going to fall asleep in his beer. All told - excellent. You missed a good show.
You also missed a bad show but that less important.

So that was my Tuesday night. Tonight was a cap to an fine day.

Spent a good chunk of it preparing for a debate on the evils of globalization which got forfeited by the other team. The chef here taught me how to make Hollandaise sauce. Not simple, but if done right it can be very fattening. After the non-debate, a friend had made plans to take me along to a bar called the Sheaf in which, on Wednesday nights supposedly, most of the bar is Jewish of some stripe or the other. Interesting place. Interesting mix of people.
Would have been nice if they had live music. But that what I think about every bar.

The Sheaf. Interesting. Jew night. Even looking back on it now I don't know what to make of it. Pointless socializing. Singles remaining single at the end just like they started out. Maybe I just didn't hit it off with anyone. But I'm sure that anyone who is into the scene would tell me: "That's not the point." Could be.

G'Night