יום רביעי, פברואר 07, 2007

Dear Brother,

I should be studying but I'm not. Instead I'll respond to an email of yours from this past summer.

On 7/19/06, My Brother wrote:
Sometimes I wish I lived in Israel. I know it's the wrong thing for me but I still wish it sometimes. When do I wish it? When northern Israel is getting Katushaed and Israel decides to do something about it. That makes me want to be there. Where the action is.
...
But there is a distinct feeling during these tense times that Jewish History happens in Israel.

Not only "during these tense times" but I'd say "on the whole" this is where it's happening. I feel hard pressed to say that the future of Am Yisroel is happening in NY.

I feel NY and American Jewry will be a parsha in the story of Am yisroel in Golus. Like Poland and Spain and Morocco. We still talk about the Golden Age of Spanish Jewry but when you look back there was a clear difference between the Jewish story of Spain, Germany, Russia, or even Bavel with all of it's Torah, and the Jewish story in Israel.

We have a fast day, Tzom Gedalya, commemorating the end of Jewish rule in Eretz Yisroel, there is no commemoration for the end of Babylonian Judaism.

Our situation here is not great but at least I'm up on stage.
Love,
YS

PS. I will admit, now that I realize I'm on the stage - I need to find me a part!

1 Comments:

At 3:59 לפנה״צ, Blogger Ezzie said...

You know, I just saw this brother of yours last week...

 

הוסף רשומת תגובה

<< Home