יום חמישי, ינואר 26, 2006

4 days on a bike

Monday night - Pai
I guess certain things are on the backpacker trail whether you look for them or not. Tonight was a traditional "recreate high-school" evening around a campfire with grilling fish and veggies in the coals. A few Germans, some Israelis, a Brit... Oh, and a vegetarian South African, a rare find indeed. On the whole it was nice. Roast garlic - Mmmmm!

Tuesday night - Mae Hon Song
After a full day on a bike I'm wiped out. We're now in Mae Hon Song and tomorrow will be some small villages. I was passed by a few "Jeep Trek tourists" in their jeeps. We also met a few in the town while having coffee. "You got here how?!"
Lessons learnt: Coconut milk goes in the stir fry at the end, before the herbs. Use sunscreen. I think my nose is burnt.

Wednesday night - Mae Chaem
The hour before sunset was the most beautiful ride I've ever done. Every single minute of flying down the mountains we wanted to stop and look at the view. The problem was time. The scariest part of our journey was the half hour after sunset when it just got darker and darker. No moon only headlights and I had to wear my sunglasses so as not to end up with bugs in my eyes. Please try to imagine my relief when we pulled in to Mae Chaem. Real streets and streetlights. And a bed.

Thursday night - Chang Mai
We made it back to Chang Mai. By far yesterday evening was the most beautiful part of the ride. Khun Yuan to Mae Chaem - Wow!
This morning we set out early and it was freezing! Riding at 7am, in the mountains, in the cold. Around 8:45 I started to warm up enough to enjoy myself.