יום ראשון, אפריל 13, 2008

Matza!!

It's been a while since I told a good story and now I have a few.

I got to bake matza last week. Real, kosher, round, hand made,
shmurah matza. I'd never done this. In my mind matza came in two
types: square machine made, in the big 5kg boxes and hand shmurah, in
the white hat boxes wrapped in white paper. I had heard of people who
went and baked their own matzas. Not the world I grew up in. Two
weeks ago, R' Aaron (the rabbi of my Kol Rina) asked who wanted to come as
part of a group to bake matza on Rosh Chodesh. Why not?
Sunday 9:30am we started with cutting nails and washing hands. All
the tables were washed down with water (no soap) and dried. Jobs were
handed out and explained. I was assigned to be the hole puncher.
(There is probably a proper technical term in Yiddish for the job...)
"L'Shaim Matzos Mitzvah!" The water hits the dough and the clock started.
As long as the dough is being worked it can not become chametz but we
keep the clock running anyway. Each round included a breakdown and
cleaning of each station. Everything that wasn't smooth stainless
steel was tossed out (including my hole punchers). Each matza was
quick baked in an oven that set it on fire if it was in a moment too
long.
The dough went from the mixing to being beaten with oversize rolling
pins. After 8 minutes of that it was divided and rolled out. Dave
(my fellow holy roller) and I got the rolled matzas, pincushioned them
and yelled "MATZA!" out the little window. A stick magically appeared
and removed the hole-y matza. Wild and tiring.
I came home with my very own box of hand made matza. I feel like a
5th grader bringing home his pre-pesach school project. I think I'll
use it on my seder plate.